When it comes to Thai food…
I usually order something like a noodle stir fry, soup noodles, curry or some sort of stir fried vegetables.
Boooooorriiinnnggg. Well at least it’s more than just pad thai.
Morning glory is my favorite. Since I was in the mood for something healthy I was looking around for vegetarian recipes.
In my search, I stumbled, tripped and fell and got back up with this Thai Stir Fried Tofu with Green Beans recipe @ Serious Eats a dry curry stir fry!! Though I’ve spent a decent amount of time in Thailand I don’t remember coming across a dish like this before. So I thought this was interesting and worth a try.
The original recipe calls for making the curry paste from scratch.
So if you feel die-hard for this dish I’d give it a shot.
But for me as this was a dish I hadn’t had yet, I made some adaptations and used canned red curry paste to save time.
It came out a true winner and wish I had doubled the recipe!!!
It didn’t turn out that oily, salty or spicy. I think this is usually an issue when eating Thai food out. But since you are making this at home you have complete control.
Main dish or appetizer?
I even ate it with Crab Fried Rice and thought it was a good pairing!
In the featured image, you can see I had a little bowl of curry. This was a yellow curry with chicken and potato. But unfortunately it was not a winner. Though most of the things I make are good, every now and then I put something together that was pretty standard and this was one of those times. So I won’t be sharing that recipe. My quest for a good yellow curry continues. If you have one, please send it my way !
What are your thoughts on Thai Stir Fried Tofu with Green Beans? If you liked this post, please share or leave a comment. Thanks for reading!
Consider going all out and serving with a Thai Iced tea!!
Stir Fried Tofu with Green Beans a.k.a Phat Phrik Khing
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 people 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Thai
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 block firm tofu ((I used a 17oz block) cut into 1 by 1/2-inch squares)
- 1 pound green beans (cut ~ 1in. ength)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 ounces red curry paste (I used the Maesri brand 1/2can=2oz.)
- Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a pan over high heat until shimmering, add tofu and brown and crisp on all sides, then transfer to a plate.
- Add another Tbsp. of oil to the pan and add beans and cook, stirring and tossing occasionally, until blistered and bright green between 2-4 minutes. The remove from pan.
- Add remaining Tbsp. oil to pan and add curry paste. Saute and stir continuously, until aromatic and sizzling for about 30 seconds.
- Quickly add tofu and beans back to the pan, mix in sugar and soy sauce. Mix thoroughly to ensure paste, sugar and soy sauce is evenly distributed.
- Serve with jasmine rice.
Before serving I would recommend you turn off heat and taste. If the curry/spice flavor is too light, move vegetables to side of pan add a bit more oil. Add more curry paste, saute quickly and mix into beans/tofu.