Massaged Kale with Slivered Almonds and Lemon-Garlic-Olive Oil
This kale salad is a simple and delicious way to get your kale fix. I love kale and ever since I found it, lettuce just isn’t the same.
I have several dinosaur kale recipes in the pipeline.
But that pipe is a little backed up right now.
Just need my dinosaur kale buddy to come and wave his magic wand. Get it? Dinosaur. Kale. 🙂
Extra Virgin Olive Oil is key!
I’ve made this kale salad many times over the past few months.
I blame this salad for going through my olive oil supplies so quickly. Of the four (750mL) bottles, I brought back from Italy, I only have one left.
Doing the math that’s almost >1 liter per month!
Take a look at the dressing and you’ll see why. It’s almost half oil! (As are many)
So, I’ve made some modifications to decrease the amount of olive oil.
It’s good for you, but probably not if you are eating cups and cups of it each week.
What makes this salad stand out is the combination of parmesan cheese and slivered almonds.
They are the perfect contrast to the spice of the olive oil, earthiness of the kale, and sour bite of lemon juice.
Add on some cracked pepper and you cannot go wrong! In fact, if I were to open a kale salad stand on the street.
This would be the dish I place at the top of the menu. It may not be your typical street food, but it’s THAT GOOD!!
Have you made a kale salad like this before? Let me know what you think!
In case you missed them, here are some of my other salad recipes!
Massaged Kale with Slivered Almonds and Lemon-Garlic-Olive oil
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 people 1x
- Category: side
- Cuisine: New American
- 1/4 cup Lemon juice
- dash salt
- 1/4 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic (peeled and crushed )
- 1 bunch kale (destemmed and cut or torn into small pieces. Red Kale works too!)
- 1/4 cups grated Parmesan
- 2 cups sliced almonds (toasted)
- fresh cracked pepper
- In a small canning jar or bowl, whisk lemon juice, a dash of salt, olive oil, and garlic. Set aside.
- Then wash, dry, and destem your kale. Tear or cut the leaves into small pieces, roughly 1 inch big.
- Put kale in a very large bowl and add almonds, cheese, and cracked pepper. Add half the dressing and massage the dressing into the leaves for about 1-2 minutes using two serving utensils. (Most of the leaves should appear glossy by the time you are done, if not add a bit more dressing).
- Have a taste and determine if it needs more dressing. Once you approve, serve and enjoy !