On today’s 8th live cooking show, we’re making Curry Udon. Curry udon is a warm and slightly spiced soup that is thick, not only in the sauce, but also the noodles. If you’ve never had it before, I’m going to show you how easy it is to make, so you can see for yourself, just how delicious udon can be. See you soon!
Curry Udon (カレーうどん)
If you like curry and you like udon, perhaps you will like curry udon!
It has been cold the past couple of weeks here and it feels like winter.
We had some unseasonably warm weather earlier in the year, but that has passed. Boo!
So in order to stay warm I wanted to share my go to curry udon recipe.
It’s pretty simple to throw together and is on the lighter side. (aside from the noodle part 😉
You can use whatever meat you have around, my favorites are beef, chicken, and pork.
Last year I used leftover turkey to make it after Thanksgiving.
Here’s a short video I made that shows you how to make it!
The curry soup base has a pretty strong flavor so that’s why you can use any meat.
The soft white onions are my favorite part and if you’re patient to cook them long enough, they’ll turn slightly sweet, adding another layer of contrast to the savory and slightly spicy broth.
Here’s a live replay from my live cooking video series on youtube!
(Oh and by the way, yes, today will be my 8th week in a row going live!)
How to Make Curry Udon
Curry udon is a warm and slightly spiced soup that is thick, not only in the sauce, but also the noodles. If you’ve never had it before, I’m going to show you how easy it is to make, so you can see for yourself, just how delicious udon can be. See you soon!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 people 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Japanese
- 2 portions udon (frozen)
- 1/4 cup meat (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup Onion (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup Green onion (chopped)
- 2 Tbsp curry powder
Curry Soup Base
- 3 cups dashi
- 2 Tbsp mirin
- 2 Tbsp sake
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp katakuriko ((potato starch – dissolved in 3 Tbsp water))
- Prepare you meat and vegetables.
- Once chopped add 1-2 Tbsp of olive oil into a pot (at least 2 QTs) and cook the onions on medium heat until slightly translucent.
- Then add in the meat and cook until starting to brown. Then add in curry powder and cook for 15-20 seconds.
- Next add in all ingredients under curry soup base and bring to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes.
- While simmering, cook udon noodles.
- After curry soup base has simmered, stir in potato starch and mix thoroughly. The soup will thicken up noticeably. Put noodles in a bowl and top with curry soup.
- Garnish with green onions and shichimi pepper and enjoy!