Hello Meatless Monday! Wanted to kick off the week with this rather humble eggplant and tomato pasta dish.
I found it buried deep inside my recipe box the other week. And haven’t made it in a few years.
It’s like my hand and the paper were running toward each other like long lost lovers. Finally reunited and spinning around hugging.
This dish marries two of my favorite pasta ingredients – eggplant and tomato. No prenup needed. Are you following?
Throw on a little red pepper and some parmesan cheese and you are golden.
An Easy Weeknight meal
I like how easily this comes together. It also doesn’t have too many ingredients.
- no eyes darting around the kitchen counter and spice cabinet looking for things.
- no double checking and rereading the recipe because its got too many steps/ingredients
- less chance of forgetting, misreading or incorrectly measuring something
- prolongation of my youth – less gray hair and wrinkle development
If you can relate to any of the above and it’s a weeknight, this might be a good option. 🙂
The hardest part which isn’t that hard really is roasting the eggplant. (And making the fresh pasta if you don’t already have it ready. I cheated this time, since I froze a batch last time I made it.)
Some tips for making this a success-
- For the eggplant, make sure that you don’t use too much oil and just a little salt.
- If it looks like the eggplant soaked up all the oil, it probably did. Eggplant loves oil and when you are roasting it, some of it will come back out. Therefore, it’s important that you mix and flip halfway through
- Go easy on the red pepper if you are sensitive to spicy foods; fresh red pepper can be much spicier than old pepper
- Adding the pasta back to the pot and mixing in the sauce prior to serving allows the pasta to soak up some of the sauce; as a result, your pasta will have more flavor
- Important to not cook the pasta all the way to al dente, otherwise it may overcook once the sauce is added to it
If you are interested in seeing what other pastas I have made, have a look at these pasta recipes!
I also recently got a KitchenAid Pasta Extruder attachment that I have been playing with so more pasta recipes to come.
Thanks for stopping by and have a great week!
In case you missed them, here are some of my other pasta recipes!
If you liked what you saw, please join my email list! No more than once a week, I send out site updates and other consumable gold nuggets.????
Email list sign up bonus: A free copy of my Ebook All Day I Eat’s Top 10 Recipes for 2016!
Inspired by food52