Are you tired of soggy and bland tofu dishes?
heard of air fryer tofu before?
Say hello to the game-changer of cooking – the Air Fryer!
With just a few simple steps, you can have crispy and flavorful tofu in minutes.
Say goodbye to the oven and hello to the Air Fryer for all your tofu needs.
What is Tofu
Tofu, also known as bean curd or soybean curd, is a soft and creamy soy-based food that’s packed with protein.
Because it’s high in protein it’s perfect for vegetarians and vegans who want a meat substitute.
You’ll usually find it sold in blocks in the grocery.
The best part?
Tofu is incredibly versatile, meaning you can use it in loads of dishes, such as stir-fries, soups, salads, and dips.
While it doesn’t have much flavor on its own, it easily takes on the taste of the other ingredients in your dish.
And, did I mention that it’s low in fat, calories, and cholesterol?
Give it a try and see what delicious tofu dishes you can create.
Origin of Tofu
Tofu has a long and rich history that dates back over 2,000 years to ancient China. It is believed to have been invented during the Han dynasty and was originally known as “doufu” or “dofu”.
In Japan, tofu adapted dating back to the Nara period from 710-794. It was introduced to Japan by Buddhist monks from China, and it quickly became popular because of its nutritional value, low cost, and versatility.
As time went on, tofu became more widely available during the Edo period. It was produced in small factories throughout Japan and enjoyed by people of all social classes.
Nowadays, tofu is still a staple in Japanese cuisine and is used in many popular dishes, like miso soup, agedashi tofu, and hiyayakko.
How can you Cook in an Air Fryer?
The air fryer uses hot air to cook the food, resulting in a crispy and flavorful texture.
The tofu is typically marinated beforehand for added flavor and then placed in the air fryer for a quick and easy cooking process.
Air Fryer Tofu is a healthy alternative to traditional fried tofu, as it requires less oil and is still crispy and delicious.
That’s why I love my air fryer… very convenient 😉
It also can be served as a main dish, side dish, or appetizer and can be paired with various dipping sauces and side dishes.
Benefits of Using Air Fryer
Air Fryer is a good method of cooking for several reasons:
- Healthier: Air Fryers use hot air instead of oil to cook food. This results in healthier food as there is less oil and fewer empty calories.
- Quick and Easy: They require less preparation time than traditional cooking methods and the food is ready in a matter of minutes.
- Versatile: Air Fryers can be used to cook a variety of foods, including vegetables, meats, poultry, fish, and even baked goods.
- Consistent Results: Air Fryers are known for providing consistent results, with evenly cooked food every time.
- Efficient: Air Fryers are energy efficient and can reduce cooking time compared to traditional ovens.
- Convenient: Air Fryers are easy to clean and store, making them a convenient and practical cooking appliance for home use.
- Better Texture: Air Fryers are known for giving food a crispy texture without the need for a deep-fryer.
Simple Steps To A 10 Minute AIR FRYER TOFU RECIPE
- 1 block of tofu, drained and cut into small blocks ~ 1 in. thick
- Pat dry the tofu
- Use a brush and coat each piece on all sides
- Air fry at 400 for 10 minutes, rotating halfway through.
- Serve hot!
For a thicker crust, cook a 2-3 minutes longer but watch closely to avoid burning
Who can cook Air Fryer Tofu?
Anyone who has an air fryer can make air fryer tofu.
It is a simple and quick dish that does not require any special skills or cooking knowledge.
All you need is an air fryer, tofu, and your desired seasonings or marinade.
With a little bit of preparation and a few simple steps, you can enjoy delicious and crispy air fryer tofu.
Whether you are a beginner cook, a chef, or a tofu addict like me, air fryer tofu is a great dish to add to your cooking repertoire.
Here are some tips for making the best Air Fryer Tofu:
- Drain the Tofu: Make sure to drain the tofu thoroughly before cooking. This will help the tofu absorb the marinade better and cook more evenly.
- Marinate: Marinate the tofu for at least 30 minutes to an hour for maximum flavor.
- Cut Evenly: Cut the tofu into even slices or cubes to ensure even cooking.
- Use Non-Stick Spray: Coat the air fryer basket with non-stick spray or brush it with oil to prevent the tofu from sticking.
- Flip Halfway Through: Flip the tofu halfway through the cooking time to ensure even cooking and crispy results.
- Experiment with Seasonings: Experiment with different seasonings and spices to find the flavor combination that works best for you.
- Serve Hot: Serve the air fryer tofu hot and crispy for the best texture and taste.
By following these tips, you can create delicious and crispy air fryer tofu every time.
Serving Suggestions for Air Fryer Tofu
- Serve the air fryer tofu as a snack on its own, with a dipping sauce such as soy sauce or sweet chili sauce.
- Chop up the air fryer tofu and add it to a salad for a protein-packed meal.
- Serve the air fryer tofu over a bed of rice with steamed or stir-fried vegetables.
- Use the air fryer tofu as a sandwich filling, paired with lettuce, tomato, and avocado.
- Chop up the air fryer tofu and add it to a stir-fry with your favorite vegetables and sauce.
- Add small pieces of air fryer tofu to a soup for added protein and texture.
- Serve the air fryer tofu over a bed of noodles with a flavorful sauce.
The possibilities are endless, and you can get creative with how you serve it. The air fryer tofu is a versatile food that can be enjoyed in many different dishes and meal options.
Frequently Asked Questions about Tofu:
What does Tofu taste like?
Tofu has a very mild and neutral taste on its own, almost like a blank slate.
However, it has a slightly nutty and slightly sweet flavor, and it tends to absorb the flavors of the ingredients it is cooked with.
So if you season it with your favorite spices and marinate it in your favorite sauce, it will take on those delicious flavors and make for a tasty and satisfying dish.
Konnichiwa! (Hello!) I'm Pat Tokuyama, a Japanese tofu cookbook author, who travels for music, food, and adventure. If you like Japanese tea, checkout some of the newestorganic japanese teas now in stock!!
** Curious about the Plant Based Japanese Cooking Club? ** Learn more here!
What is tofu made of?
Tofu is made from soybeans, water, and a coagulant, or curdling agent.
The soybeans are soaked, ground, and boiled to create soy milk.
The coagulant is then added to the soy milk to create curds, which are then pressed and compacted into blocks to form tofu.
Other ingredients such as salts, acids, or enzymes can also be used as coagulants, resulting in different types of tofu with varying textures and flavors.
Summary & Conclusion
Air fryer tofu is a revolutionary dish for those seeking a healthy and scrumptious substitute for conventional fried tofu.
With its flexibility and ease, it can be tailored to your taste and enjoyed in countless ways.
So why not take the leap and give air fryer tofu a try? Your taste buds and your body will thank you later.
will you serve your air fryer tofu with rice or soup?
lmk in the comments !