♩ ♪ ♫ Monday, Mondayyy
So good to meee
It was all I hoped it would beee ♩ ♪ ♫
Song of the day by the Mamas and the Papas. Hope that this tasty mujaddara recipe will help make your Monday all that you had hoped it would be 🙂
Wait, what’s that you say? You’ve never heard of mujaddara!?
That’s okay! It’s almost 800 years old and I just learned about it a few months ago myself.
Brief History of Mujaddara
Mujaddara is the Arabic word for “pockmarked”; the lentils among the rice resemble pockmarks.The first recorded recipe for mujaddara appears in Kitab al-Tabikh, a cookbook compiled in 1226 by al-Baghdadi in Iraq. Containing rice, lentils, and meat, it was served this way during celebrations. Without meat, it was a medieval Arab dish commonly consumed by the poor… Because of its importance in the diet, a saying in the Eastern Arab world is, “A hungry man would be willing to sell his soul for a dish of mujaddara.”
This mujaddara does, however, come with a spiced yogurt sauce. Essentially your dressing for the rice/lentil salad.
The yogurt sauce adds a lot of goodness to the mix. It adds creamy and savory notes to the overall flavor profile. And the savory/spicy yogurt dressing is a very good contrast to the sweet caramelized onions. They balance each other out nicely.
The mint adds a bit of menthol to each bite keeping everything fresh and cool. It’s not a spicy (hot) dish by any means, but does pack a lot of flavor in each bite.
Overall, I was very pleased with the results.
If you are looking for something different, this might be a good dish to try. Could be your tongues round trip ticket to a land far far away.
In case you missed them, here are some of my other recipes!
- Hojicha Ice Cream | Roasted Green Tea Ice Cream
- Japanese Side Dish | Spinach Ohitashi (dashi based broth) 🍱
- Tofu Kabayaki | Savory Tofu Patties with Yamaimo
- How to make mentsuyu | Japanese noodle soup base with dashi 🍜
- Daikon Salad with Bean Sprouts and Spinach | Easy and Healthy! 😋
- Cold Somen Noodles | With Shiso, Tomatoes and Chicken 🍅
- Nikujaga (Japanese meat and potato stew)
- Japanese Curry with Chicken 🐓 | (Curry rice from scratch)
- Simmered Yellowtail with Daikon Radish (Buri Daikon)
- Japanese Style Steak with Shio Koji