I’ve recently been on a fish and vegetarian kick, trying to stay away from red meat. I was looking for something to go with the Indian food I made earlier this week.
I didn’t think I wanted Tandoori style fish and wanted something with strong flavors. I had saved this recipe from one of Bon Appetit’s magazines and finally got around to it.
I made some changes and the trout came out pretty good for 10 minutes of prep! You could probably substitute the steelhead trout with salmon. I think it would be ideal if you use a fatty species though, like King Salmon. The fat would probably bring out some depth to the seasonings on the fish. My steelhead wasn’t too fatty so that is where I’m coming from 🙂
Grilled Spiced Steelhead Trout with Raita
- 1/2 lb steelhead trout or salmon
- 3 Tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 Tbsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 3/4 tsp. ground cumin
- Preheat grill or grill pan.
- Mix ginger garlic paste, olive oil, garam masala, coriander, and cumin.
- Put trout into a baking dish and season with salt and pepper. Coat salmon with spice paste. Let marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- After marinating, put on grill skin side down for 3-4 minutes and then flip
- Remove from heat as the top/sides cook or check doneness with a thermometer
- Serve with rice or my aloo fry and Raita!
Recipe adapted from bon appetit
If you liked this post, please share or leave a comment. Thanks for reading!